Thursday 12 December 2013

Smashwords author interview


Interview with Sarah Jane Butfield 

What's the story behind your latest book?
Glass Half Full is the story of how our Australian dream was tested by adversity. The journals from which the book is written were never intended to be the basis for a book, they were written as form of self help to get me through some of the most traumatic experiences of my life. 
 
What motivated you to become an indie author?
I originally thought only friends and family would be interested in reading about our experiences, which is why I self published. However, it has been an amazing experience to have other people read my story, email me and offer advice and support. It is quite a surreal experience. 
 
How has Smashwords contributed to your success?
I chose Smashwords because it has a great reputation and the ease of following the 'how to' guides made the process easy, even for a PC dinosaur like me. 
 
What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
Being able to express my inner most emotions freely and honestly. 
 
What do your fans mean to you?
It is still amazing to think that total strangers become fans when you write about your life and experiences. Having said that my new found fans are not only supportive by buying the book and sharing the experience, but many empathize with our story and can relate to it. 
 
Who are your favorite authors?
I admire the work of Lisa Genova, and I enjoy reading anything by James Patterson.
 
What inspires you to get out of bed each day?
Writing!!! I often wake in the night with ideas and thoughts that are then scribbled into my notepad, therefore in the morning I am ready to go, exploring and collating them. It's a real buzz
 
When you're not writing, how do you spend your time?
With my family!! 
 
How do you discover the ebooks you read?
Online forums and ebook communities. 
 
Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
My first experience of writing for an external audience was during my creative writing diploma course and it was called 'Beyond breaking point.' This story was also based on a real life experience in my formative years. 
 
What are you working on next?
The follow up to Glass Half Full is titled 'Two dogs, our bags and no idea,' it follows our arrival in France and our French escapades as we renovate a rural property, enjoy being closer to our children and experience the highs and lows of expat life.
I have two other books in first draft format including a chick lit romance with a working title of 'Without Love' and another true story which documents my life before I met Nigel, with a working title of 'Yesterday once more - the Ben and Jack years.' 
 
Published 2013-12-12.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/378919

No comments:

Post a Comment